My name is Karen Drummond and I have been involved in dog training for over two decades. I started Truffle Dog Services New Zealand in 2011, working in the Te Puke area with Ollie, a Sydney Sylkie x Maltese.
Increased demand meant that additional dogs were needed, and then we had two dogs working and another in training (Meet our Dogs).
Since 2014 our King Country business has grown to provide truffle hunting services throughout the North Island. With two additional hunters starting in the 2021 season, we are working to providing a higher servicing opportunity to the North Island truffieres and are working towards truffle surveying in the South Island in the upcoming 2021 season.
Continued education is important to keep up to date with training specifically in scentwork. As well as attending or hosting speakers at workshops, qualifications and additional Professional Development include:
- 2021 – The School of Canine Science – Scent For Six
- 2020 – Swedish Working Dog Institute – 1 month online Passive Indication Training course
- 2020 – Swedish Working Dog Institute – Progression Planning Session
- 2020 – Swedish Working Dog Institute – Tracking Session
- 2020 – Fred Helfer – Understanding Ofaction and Odour Parts 1 and 2
- 2019 – Steve White from Proactive K9 for Tracking and Scent Work in Auckland
- 2019 – Scentwork Enrichment Certificate (2019) from Canine Principles and a UK Rural Skills Certificate in Canine Scentwork
- 2010 – National Certificate of Adult Education and Training Level 5
- 2005 – Principles of Canine Behaviour from Massey University
- 2005 – Canine Health and Husbandry from Massey University