My name is Karen Drummond and I have been involved in dog training for over two decades. I started Truffle Dog Services New Zealand in 2011, working in the Te Puke area with Ollie, a Sydney Sylkie x Maltese.
High demand meant that it we would need more dogs, and we now have two dogs working and another in training (Meet our Dogs).
Since 2014 our service area has increased. Located in the King Country, we now provide truffle hunting services throughout the North Island and are working towards commencing truffle surveying of truffières in the South Island in the upcoming 2020 season.
Continued education is important to keep up to date with training specifically in scentwork. In 2019 I hosted Steve White from Proactive K9 for Tracking and Scent Work in Auckland.
As well as attending or hosting speakers at workshops, qualifications include:
- Fred Helfer – Understanding Ofaction and Odour
- Scentwork Enrichment Certificate from Canine Principles and a UK Rural Skills Certificate in Canine Scentwork
- National Certificate of Adult Education and Training Level 5
- Principles of Canine Behaviour from Massey University
- Canine Health and Husbandry from Massey University